Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Different Side of Geometry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_geometry

As I was reading some updated blog entries today, I came across some teaching info about introducing non-Euclidean geometry. On the HippoCampus blog, there were a few good websites that do a great job of describing the difference between Euclidean geometry and any other geometry, especially spherical. Also, there is a neat demo for helping students, especially the more visual learners, think about how lines, triangles, and squares, look a little different in spherical geometry.

On an unrelated note, the Math Teaching blog I was reading had a cool link to a website where you can create your own graph paper. To me, being the nerd I am, this is exciting! Not only can you change the size of the grid, the kind of graph, and the type of lines, but you can even change the color. Anyway, I will most definitely use that website as a resource in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment